Just because your website can be viewed on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet) doesn’t make it mobile-friendly. To find out how to ensure your mobile customers have a positive experience, follow these 12 suggestions from mobile experts and Web design and development pros.
1. Be responsive (i.e., use responsive design).
2. Think with your thumb (or index finger).
3. Keep the design simple.
4. Keep content short and to the point.
5. Remember, an icon is worth a thousand (or, okay, a dozen) words.
6. Make it fast — by serving images that are optimized for mobile.
7. Don’t go overboard with Java.
8. Make it easy to find your phone number, location, and contact info.
9. Consider video, but add it wisely.
10. Make sure forms are designed for mobile.
11. Consider geolocation (directions to the nearest store, in-store availability of merchandise).
12. Test to ensure your content can be properly viewed on different devices, platforms, and operating systems.
To see full explanations of each mobile web design tip, go to my article, “12 Tips for Creating a Mobile-Friendly Website.”