With over 232 million active users, Twitter can be a great way to get the word out about your small business, product, or service. So how can you turn 140 characters into marketing gold? I put that question to dozens of business owners and social media experts. Here are their top 14 tips on how to market your business on Twitter.
1. Optimize your Twitter bio. That means including a brief description of your business as well as a link to either your Home page or a key landing page.
2. Find out who the top influencers and experts are in your target area(s) and interact with them on a regular basis.
3. Get friends and colleagues involved. Have people you know follow you and vice versa — and encourage them to tweet about your business and re-tweet or favorite your tweets.
4. Tweet regularly — at least once a day.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for some Twitter love. Ask followers to retweet, mention or favorite your tweets — or to share content with a fresh tweet.
6. Track mentions — and respond if appropriate.
8. Favorite tweets.
9. Follow trends/hashtags and try to work trending hashtags into your tweets (without going overboard).
10. Offer discounts or special deals to Twitter followers.
11. Use images and videos. Photos and videos have been shown to generate three or four times more clicks than regular tweets.
12. Use promoted tweets (if you can afford to).
13. Make sure you are consistent with your messaging across all social media channels.
14. Track your tweets — using Twitter analytics or by including a bitly or similar shortened link to track clicks.
For detailed information about each tip, read my article “14 Ways to Use Twitter to Market Your Business.”