To paraphrase Mark Twain, the reports of email marketing’s death have been greatly exaggerated.
“For all the popularity of social media, 92 percent of adult internet users maintain at least one email account and 59 percent of marketers say they believe email is the best outlet for generating revenue,” says John Hayes, marketing strategist, iContact, Vocus’s email marketing arm. Indeed, if anything, the increase in the use of social media and mobile devices has increased email marketing’s effectiveness. That said, there are always ways to improve your email marketing.
To find out how your small business can generate a better return–or click-through rate–on your email marketing campaigns this year, I interviewed experts from Constant Contact, Emma, iContact, and Mad Mimi. Following are their top suggestions for how your email marketing campaigns can reach and convert more customers in 2013.
1. Keep in mind that more people are increasingly using smart phones (over 123 million in the U.S. alone) and tablets (over 70 million) to read and send emails, as well as shop.
2. Forget the bells and whistles (i.e., video and slow-to-load images).
3. Link your email to your social networking accounts (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, YouTube).
4. Educate readers instead of constantly selling to them.
5. Use a targeted, interest- or demographic-specific approach instead of sending out one-size-fits-all mass mailings.
6. Include an email signup form on key landing pages, not just on your Home page.
7. Don’t underestimate the value of permissions marketing.
To learn more about these seven email marketing tips, check out my article, “7 Email Marketing Tips to Gain Customers in 2013.” And feel free to share your own email marketing tips in the Comments section.